Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TEACUP TUESDAY


I've been seeing various blogs I follow doing a Teacup Tuesday where they post a picture of a teacup they have and tell something about it. I decided to do this too. This one is to a tea-set I inherited from my great-aunt. It belonged to my great-great-great-grandmother Sarah Wright-Guion then her oldest daughter my great-great-grandmother Sarah Mariah Guion-Weston then her oldest daughter Orvetta Weston-Billups, then to her only daughter/my g-aunt Estelle Billups-Pettit and then to me (skipping my mother) the oldest female in the next line of descent from Grandmother Sarah and so it will go to my daughter and then her oldest daughter.

The set includes a teapot, sugar, creamer, luncheon plates, desert plates, cups and saucers, berry bowls, and cake/sandwich platters. It's by Jean Pouyat , Limoges. Since I've been the keeper of it I have it in my g-aunt's corner cabinet. Part is on display in the top section. Shame on me I've never used it. But I do have fond memories of my great-aunt using it when she had teas and luncheons. I want to do a dress-up tea when my granddaughters are older and serve them tea with tradtional foods served like my g-aunt did for me and my friends.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a pretty teacup! Such a special piece to have passed down from so many family members. I have a collection of tea cups too, and tea pots...we use them often. Have you ever read the book "If Teacups Could Talk" by Emily Barnes? You would love it! We will have to have tea together soon!! :)

Scrappy quilter said...

Very pretty teacup. And what wonderful memories.